Thursday 11 October 2012

I am clearly the most faithful blogger in creation.
So... kind of a lot has happened since the last time I blogged. But since the only people who read my blogs are people who actually know me, I'm just not going to go into it. Ok? Ok.

So, we moved, and now I can walk through my backyard into a gloriously quiet, serene forest, with interconnecting trails surrounding a large pit and also one long one that takes you far far away into lands unknown.

Yesterday I went for a walk in my forest in the rain. I had my poochies, Buddy and Molly ( I knooow, most clever dog names of life, right?), with me. I have grown up in this town, and subsequently, in these woods, however I'm not familiar with all of the little trails and how they connect to each other. I have always prided myself on having a very good sense of direction. I always know the direction I have come from, and if I've been somewhere once, I can usually get there again. I can find my way around a new town as long as the streets are in grid pattern (unlike Orillia, the other week I got lost going to my orthodontist. It was my third time going there. I tried to take a different route- anyways that's another story!).

However, somehow I managed to get myself completely... turned around, let's call it. I knew where I was. I was behind the cemetery. I just didn't know how I got there. In my mind's eye there was one big pit, and I had no recollection of crossing that pit. I am pretty sure I would have noticed. I hadn't however, and even now, I still don't know how I got to the other side. My brother informs me that "the pit" is actually in the shape of a donut, but that still doesn't make sense to me, unless the center of the donut is connected and makes a bridge across the whole pit. In which case, it would not be a donut.
I digress.

I was not frightened, but there is something a little unnerving about being unsure of your way in the woods in the pouring rain. Then my dog Buddy began misbehaving. There is something extremely comical about an already rather dumb dog who is also going deaf and blind - except when it is pouring rain and you are slightly unsure of your way. Then it is annoying. Molly, our faithful black lab, just trotted along behind me happily. I ended up turning around and going back the way we'd come, only to come out at yet another familiar landmark, uncertain of how we got there. I am sure I will figure things out, but I was quite disappointed by my internal compass. Alas, pride comes before a fall.

I'm thankful for familiar landmarks. I can't imagine what it would be like to be really, truly lost. Sometimes I get confused and I'm not certain of the way, but there is always someone or something to point it out to me.


OOO so deep. Someone go make that last bit your facebook status and impress all your friends with how deep you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment