Saturday 13 October 2012

I am ashamed to say, I got lost again.
Never again will I brag about my amazing sense of direction. This time I was lost for a good half an hour, driving around Barrie trying to find the mall. I had gone to Barrie to pick up my grandma, and she chatted happily in my ear the whole time, completely willing to let me drive around until I had exhausted my own patience and finally stopped to ask for directions. I must remember her example next time I'm with my dad and he gets us lost...

Today, I went to the Bala Cranberry Festival. My dad has a booth there, advertising "Straight Shooter Tops", his upholstery business. The vendors who were there from local businesses were pretty normal, but the ones who make their living from travelling around to different shows and festivals... some of them were pretty interesting. It's just so different, such a different job description from what most of us are used to. Some of the things they sell are weird too, you have to wonder how they do any business. There was this one vendor, I'm afraid of saying too much because I think he was local, he was selling possibly one of the most boring things in creation, and only that one product. He looked like a Calvin Klein model, and the way he stood made him look like he was posing, and his gaze was so aloof like "approach my booth... if you're worthy of my beauty". I never saw anyone approach his booth.

The vendor across from my dad sells jewellery. My dad says he's an absolute tyrant, sweet and flattering to his customers one minute, and cursing them the next. I guess that's one thing about being a travelling vendor, you don't really need to have a reputation with your customers.

I went to the gym this afternoon, and this song came on my i-pod.
Against the Grain - City and Colour

I really like this song. I find it encouraging and relaxing. I feel though, that this whole "follow your heart" thing that our culture and world embraces is often used as an excuse for doing whatever we want (YOLO!). God says (Jeremiah 17:9) that are hearts are wicked and deceitful... so I'm not sure they're the best compass to follow.

So I'm going to believe this with my whole heart.

Psalm 3:5 &6
5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;
6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He shall direct your paths.

It just seems like a way better idea. My heart can be a little spastic sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment