Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Hunger Games: Part 2 My Favourite Characters


The Hunger Games: My Favourite Characters



Hokay, so Suzanne Collins is definitely not a fan of creating perfect little characters. They’re all very real, multi-dimensional, have good qualities as well as bad, and make both poor and brilliant choices. There are a few characters that I have picked as my favourites.



CINNA

Such an obvious choice. Who doesn’t love a good “gay best friend” character? Ok so I know there’s nowhere that says he’s gay, but he definitely falls in that ever-popular character category. He is more than just a stereotype however.

Katniss: “So you’re here to help me look pretty?”
Cinna: “No, I’m here to help you make an impression.”
Cinna wanted to not only help Katniss, but her District. He wanted to make them proud and give them all something to fight for. Later in the series, Cinna makes some pretty amazing sacrifices for the greater good of Panem. He got it. He understood that it wasn’t just about putting on a good show.

PRIM

Prim is kind of displayed as a weak character, but sometimes it is hardest to be the person who is left behind. I think that as we get to know her better throughout the series she becomes a truly excellent character. She cares about the people around her, not just those closest to her. She is willing to lay her own safety and comfort on the line to help others. She hates seeing anyone suffer. In a series so full of violence and gore, she is very refreshing.

GALE

Well first of all, I have to admit that I am such a sucker for the whole “best friend romance” thing. Gets me every time. But before you think that I’m just one of the many fan girls drowning in the sultry grey eyes (it just took me a good 2 minutes to figure out what colour his eyes were) of Liam Hemsworth, I do have some legit reasons why I love Gale.

Gale is manly. He provides for his family, he works hard and makes many sacrifices for them. This is awesome. Men should do this.

Gale sees the big picture. He loves Katniss, yes. He wants to be with her, to protect her and provide for her, but not at any cost. He is concerned about his entire district, and the other districts as well. He has a strong sense of justice and is willing to fight for freedom for everyone. His passion for freedom does become misguided, and he becomes willing to sacrifice too much. However, he is one of the few characters in the book that is truly passionate about the greater battle being fought. He isn’t stuck in his own little world of himself and Katniss and his immediate family, unlike some other characters who I will mention tomorrow in…

Katniss: Why I Think She is a Terrible Example for Young Girls/Everyone.

3 comments:

  1. Incredibly well written Kaitlyn (:

    I don't fully agree with your opinion of Gale.. (by the time I was done the third book I had lost all respect for him) but I totally agree about Cinna and Prim. Cinna especially was such an amazingly written character. He had so many different sides to him (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely lost respect for Gale by the end of the series too, I hate that he became willing to sacrifice so much. Comparatively though, he is still one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for not liking Katniss! She constantly frustrated me. However, you forgot Peeta. I know, He's a cheese. But his persistence? You've got to honor that. I also really enjoy the change you see from the beginning to the end in him. He becomes so much more than what he began as.

    ReplyDelete